Miss South Africa Rolene Strauss Becomes Miss World 2014

Rolene Strauss of South Africa was crowned Miss World 2014 on Sunday (early Monday morning Manila time), succeeding the Philippines' Megan Young for the title at the ExCeL Exhibition Centre in London.

The 22-year-old beauty won hearts with her background as a medical student in her native
country.

"South Africa this is for you," Strauss said afterwards. "I think I will brace myself for what's about to happen. It's a huge responsibility."

"I hope Miss South Africa enjoys her year as much as I did," said Young, meanwhile. Young became the first bet from the Philippines to win the Miss World tiara last year.

Edina Kulcsar of Hungary was runner-up, while the United States' Elizabeth Safrit was third.

But the night was as much about Young as the new winner, with the reigning beauty queen serving as host of the event. "It's not just a legacy for myself, but a legacy for Filipinos," she said in a video package prior to the announcement of the winner.

She also had a piece of advice for the new Miss World: "Be ready for challenges, be ready for anything that comes your way."

Comments