Obafemi Martins Is Quitting Super Eagle National Team Football

Obafemi Martins  announced that he is quitting the Nigeria national team the Super Eagles, nine years after making his debut.

Obafemi Martins, who is currently playing football in the United States with the Seattle Sounders, has been overlooked for the past 18 months;  which is a development that could have contributed to his decision to quit national team football.

below is his statement:
“I am done with my national team, I will not go there anymore,” Martins shared with Italian football site La Gazzetta dello Sport. “I do not have good relationships with some people there. If they do not want me anymore, peace. I love my country, I have given so much. But believe me when I say there are problems.”
The 30-year-old made his debut in 2004 in a 2-0 win over Ireland at the Abuja stadium and went on to play 39 times for Nigeria and scoring 18 goals . Oba Goal as he is fondly called represented the three time African Champions at four major tournaments; including the South Africa 2010 World Cup in which Martins played a key role for Nigeria to qualify.

Coincidentally Obafemi Martins also won the goal of the year award in the United States Major League Soccer, MLS, on the same day he was announced his retirement from international football


Comments